Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hate This And I'll Love You (Not Really, I'll Just Think You're A Hater)

Three weeks to go and then home.  Again, here is a time where I write with no direction.  Obviously, we’re gonna have to touch on The Dark Knight, so we might as well start with that.

What an incredible movie.  If you don’t think so, you’re too much of a hater.  More on that in a second because first I want to brag.  I was in the exact theater they had the premiere at last week.   It was bonkers at that theater.  I love and loathe midnight showings for big movie like this.  What is cool is that you are there with the fans.  This is why I can’t wait for Arrested Development and Watchmen.  Speaking of, that trailer gave me goosebumps.  I think Snyder is going to nail it.  But back to midnighters, those in attendance are those diehards who only want to love the film projected on the screen.  And that is exactly why I loathe them too.  They’re gonna make their voice heard be it talking, practicing their stand-up routine, or other inappropriate sounds escaping their lips.  Luckily, this crowd had respect and it was a great time.

Ok, it’s been a second.  Why are so many people with a needle trying to pop this balloon?  I know that nothing in the world is unanimously loved.  Some things should be but never will.  But when someone is complaining that, “There is no way, NO WAY a gun would ever be snuck into a courtroom!” I can’t help but find this foo’ be hatin’.  What about my good friend Corey who basically said, “Well it wasn’t good enough to warrant twelve midnight screenings at Green Hills.”  Really now?  I think the box office numbers beg to differ.  I hear you already, “The revenue doesn’t mean it’s a good movie!”  Yes, it does.  With the way we can transmit info so quickly nowadays, you bet if all those diehards who did go to the midnight screenings had cried foul, there is no way the film would have grossed as much as it did over the weekend.  C’mon people, let’s try to find some constructive criticism versus all-caps rants (I’m looking at you Kanye) flung from a pubescent kid on the computer in his parent’s bedroom. 

There were flaws.  Honestly, the only thing that bothered me was the guy riding shotgun in the armored car.  No third-rate character in any movie has made me want to spit nails more than that guy.  He had to have been Christopher Nolan’s cousin or something. Well, maybe the fact that one of the best characters created in the past 10 years on film can’t return due to Mr. Ledger’s death bothered me.  I don’t want to be all gushy cause the man is dead, but seriously, he was phenomenal.  Scary, funny, engaging, intense.  Each scene with him made me want more and I only felt the first pangs of sadness at his death once the credits rolled.  What a shame.  Oh well, I guess as they say, “Go out on top.”

Back to the complaints, they all seem to stem from trying to hate “the game” of “don’t’ hate the player, hate the game” fame.  People want to detract from a movie that did so well.  They want to be that guy that ten years from now can say I told you so.  The Pitchforks out there are so annoying.  You’re living in the now, buddy.  Did you get a haircut in high school and immediately distance yourself by calling it stupid so ten years when you’re flipping through the yearbook with your fiancé you can claim superiority?  No, you didn’t.  Who cares?  It was in the past.  So I beg you to see what a crowning achievement this film is in this day and time where everyone is divided into factions, where no one can agree.  Here is something we can agree on:  The Dark Knight is one of the best films of the past decade.  I mean, you can’t even logically hate the game this time.  I don’t think anybody wants to admit that “the game” (Hollywood) finally hit a homerun.  This is it!  This is the film we always ask for when they screw with our beloved childhood heroes!  Especially after the modicum that was Indiana Jones this summer, more people should embrace what a treasure The Dark Knight really is.  Go see it again.  It’ll hold up.

Wow, I got worked up.  What else is going on?  I went to a Yankees’ game last night.  If ten years ago you told me I was going to be cheering the Yankees in any way, I would have kicked you in the nuts.  That was the epitome of hilarity ten years ago to my ten-year-old self.  Our seats were great, the game was great, and the atmosphere was great.  The nachos were not so great.  I just had to go and get chicken on them and that ruined it.  But what a fun time.  People bleed that stuff here.  It’s nuts.  Yes, the kind I’d kick.

Ooh, it’s bragging time again.  Bank Robber shares space with a music business related company (I’m going to be vague so as to protect anybody even though it would be easy to figure out who I’m talking about and I’m only giving a rave review so it doesn’t even matter.  Still…) who works with Kings of Leon.  Their new album Only By The Night doesn’t come out til September 23rd, but guess who’s been spinning it?  Yep, this kid.  I have to say, first listen was not enthralling.  It was good, but not great.  I remember them saying that they were headed in the direction of more rockers akin to “Black Thumbnail” and “McFearless”.  I didn’t hear that the first time, but I do now.  The songs are HUGE.  Think the chorus of “McFearless” or the feel of “Arizona” on almost every song.  I will say that it is going to be divisive.  Once again, they’ve kind of skipped out on the southern-fried rock of their first two albums.  That’s fine by me.  That was a long time ago and they’ve grown up.  There’s still a realness to it that screams southern, but the music is more of a quiet declaration in that regard.  Needless to say, I can’t wait for everyone else to hear it.  It’s gonna be a great fall/winter CD with the landscapes the music paints.  The first single “Sex On Fire” is out on August 11th and it is a scorcher (pun entirely intended).  This has been a favorite from the get go, really the only one to be.  You’ll love it.  I also do think that the version I’ve been listening to is not the final mix.  There are some weird levels, especially in that song.  It makes sense it is the single because they would still be tweaking that perfect radio-ready mix.  I hope you get to hear it all soon.

So, I’m kind of done.  The Who is here and I gotta board the Magic Bus.  Not the one with Ms. Frizzle.  That would be cool though. 

Til next time, baby birds.

- Chase

No comments: